Thursday, February 4, 2010

Meetings can be fun!

Seriously... they can. Shaker Two here. I have just arrived home after a lovely evening with Michael and Ellen. We had our monthly meeting for an organization we are members of and part of the fun is that we are able to get together, take care of some business, socialize and enjoy a cocktail.

Michael is a fellow martini lover and has been a long time fan of the drink. In fact, is was one of the first things we bonded over when we met - vodka.

This evening, he introduced me to something I had never heard of, nor would be likely to try on my own - Tomolives! When he asked if I had tried any, I raised an eyebrow and said.. "uhmm no" he went into the bar area and came out with the most beautiful frosty ice cold glass of vodka I have seen in a long time... with a lovely metal pick with two little olive looking things on it.. turns out, they are pickled green tomatoes. I took a bite and was completely amazed! These little buggers pack a wonderful crunch with just a hint of tomato flavor and a decent amount of pickling. I think I am in love...or at the very least, lust.

The history behind these is pretty cool. They paired up with Ketel One at the beginning of the martini resurgence and were named as a key ingredient with the Ketel One Ultimate Martini. Their marketing team worked it out to be sold with the vodka, etc.. and their business took off. Now, these little guys might not always be easy to find in grocery stores, but you can order online. I recommend trying them out.

He also had me try a bit of the Crystal Head Vodka... if you have been to a liquor store, it is the unmissable bottle shaped like a skull. Since most of the time a really cool bottle is trying to compensate for a somewhat substandard product, I snarled a little bit, but he assured me that I should try it. Surprisingly, it was pretty good. Fairly smooth and drinkable well-chilled and served neat (with a tomolive garnish, of course) Plus, you get a really cool bottle!!



Frosty martini glass and the lovely Ellen.
Amazing sausage pinwheels that Michael made. So easy and so sinfully good.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely meeting on all fronts...now WHERE did I put those meeting notes?....I know I took some..really!

    ReplyDelete